I think I might be pregnant as my period is late. How can I find out?
- The most obvious sign of pregnancy is your period is late, but sometimes you can still have a period and be pregnant.
- If you have had sex without using contraception, forgotten to take your contraceptive pill or been sick after taking it you then you could become pregnant. Remember there may still be time to take emergency contraception.
Where can I get a pregnancy test?
- Free pregnancy testing in Somerset is available from clinics in your area
- Some GP surgeries offer free pregnancy testing
- Pregnancy tests can be bought from chemists and supermarkets
What is involved in having a pregnancy test?
- A sample of urine is tested with a dip and read stick.The result is given there and then.
- If you have the test at one of the clinics listed in this website, a worker will be happy to discuss different options you have if you are pregnant.
What are my options if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant, or think you might be and don't know what to do next, who to talk to or whether you want to continue with the pregnancy, it is very important that you contact a service listed in this directory or your GP as soon as possible.
If you are pregnant the options include:
- continuing with the pregnancy
- different forms of abortion. For further information on abortion services speak to your GP or one of the services listed here
- considering adoption. To discuss adoption - contact SOMERSET DIRECT: 0300 123 2224
- Education for Choice - clicking this link will take you to a section on their website around decision making
There will be plenty of help whichever option you choose.
Remember - the earlier you seek help, the more options are available to you.